Estate Sale Here I Come!
Seeing that tiny sign "Estate Sale" on the side of the road is enticing.. I used to drive by that sign, with buyers remorse. Wondering if I may have missed, that once in a life time opportunity, to find something really great. Something I couldn't live without. Now, I make the u-turn and drive back. With my shopping bag in hand, I wait in line, ready to rub elbows with the rest of the shopping addicts. In the end we are all searching for that special collectible. You really never know what you may find. So if you've never stopped for an estate sale, now is your chance to make that u-turn. Check out these 8 tips to shop with ease.
1. Don't be Shy. Always stop when you see a sign. Get over your fear and do it!
2. Do your research. Scan the Internet for upcoming sales. Most sales will have pictures.
3. Early Birds Get The Worm. If you know a sale is offering something you want, get there early. Most sales will have early lines. I personally like to take my chances. I'm not one that wants to get up at 6:00am and wait three hours, but hey if you have the time give it a shot.
4. Be prepared. Always review the terms of sale. Most companies only take cash. So be prepared! Credit card sales often come with added transaction fees.
5. Bundle. Bring your own bags, boxes and tissue paper. Bags free your hands up so you can keep shopping and tissue paper speeds up your check out process.
6. Get your exercise. Be prepared to move heavy items like furniture by yourself.
7. Bargain. It never hurts to ask for a deal. Most vendors don't like to be asked for discounts on the first day, but it never hurts to ask. If your not being outrageous and you have other purchases, a dealer just may say yes.
8. Save the best for last! Typically on the last day of an estate sale, you can receive up to 50% off. I really enjoy shopping the last day of sales. Less crowds and better deals!
Warning estate sales are addictive. Happy Shopping!