Thursday, October 17, 2013

Retro Cookbooks


   
     As I gear up for the holidays, there is one thing I can't get my mind off, FOOD!! I love food as much or more as I love vintage.  So as I wander through estate sales looking for cool vintage stuff, I have my eye on the prize.... Vintage cookbooks.  Not only do they look great on a kitchen shelf as an awesome retro accessory but these books are filled with old school recipes that your grandma cooked.  It doesn't get better than the jello inspired dish, crock pot favorite, mod hors d'oeuvre and a meal titled "What Men Like."  The best part is you can pick up vintage cookbooks for next to nothing.  Here are a few of my favorites and a recipe or two to follow.


Meet Sammie Brown.. Her recipe was featured in  a Texas Electric Company Cook Book


1967 Golden Press New York

1963 contents 784 pages



A couple of years ago my mom gave me this.  She found it boxed away in the garage.  She actually stole this book from the school library.  Makes me laugh every time I look at it. She is an amazing cook, so it doesn't surprise me to much, but still to funny, she just had to have it..
1952 The contents are sweet and candy coated



Chocolate Pralines

1 cup sugar
1 cup nuts-almonds or hazelnuts
12 lb  sweet dipping chocolate

Measure 1 cup sugar and 1 cup nuts into a heavy skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts and nuts begin to make popping sounds.  Pour into greased pan.  Let cool and then grind finely and mix with 1/2 lb melted chocolate.  Pour into a 8x11 pan which has been lined with waxed paper and mark in squares.  When cool cut and serve plain or dipped in chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment